Eck family Vacation 2016
Our summer vacation this year was heading to Northern Wisconsin. Some of my fondest memories growing up were from my family's annual week at the cottage each summer. Now, with four babes (kiddos) of my own, I get to share the same kind of experience with them......with an Eck family twist to it.
1. Pack into the vehicle like sardines. I don't know how to pack light with a baby!!! The Pack'n Play, portable high chair, diapers/wipes, multiple outfits for each day, baby blankets, baby's sound machine, and on and on. Plus still fit in the bags for the 5 other family members. If anyone has some tips on how the heck they pack light with a baby....and would like to share.......it would be greatly appreciated👶🏼👦🏼👦🏻👦🏼🚐💼🎒🙄
2. Speeding ticket......reallllllly!!!!! After a couple hours into the start of our trip.....my husband gets pulled over for speeding. It wouldn't be an Eck family trip without a little drama.....trying to get there on time. Why?!?!?! We have 5:30 dinner reservations.....with over a nine hour drive🙄🚨😳🚔👮🏻🍽
3. What ETA? Drive. . . stop. . . .drive. . . . .stop. . .drive. . . .stop. Seriously!!!! My family texted me for our ETA.....really?!?!? There isn't an actual ETA traveling with a big family. From nursing the baby, to answering every "I am hungry," hearing recruiting calls, potty breaks, stopping for gas, poopie diapers, DVD changes, the list goes on. Why don't family vehicles have those nifty windows that go up like in limos.....seriously?!?!? Can't a mom just get a nap after some greasy McDonald's👶🏼👦🏼👦🏻👦🏼🚐🙄🍟🍔🛣⛽️💩🕑🕔🕗🕚🕚
4. Relaxation.....really?!?! Do you know how long it takes to plan and pack for four babes (kiddos) for 5 days? It took almost an hour just to pack up the car.....an another hour to unpack it. Then you have to put together the pack n play, high chair, and practically be on your hands in knees in a bear crawl making sure there isn't anything dangerous for baby when you get there. You know no place is ever safety proofed like at home. 🐻👶🏼That brings me to my next point.
5. Rest.....on vacation.....what sleep? Someone SERIOUSLY needs to figure a way to make portable cribs more comfortable. My baby was sleeping through the night before our trip and during vacation was waking up 2-3 times during the night UGGGG!!!!! Plus not having the convenience of having him in his own nursery. When baby figured out he was rooming with us......guess who was eagerly ready to wake us up that much earlier every morning?🛌 👶🏼😴
6. A Football family in Nature 🐟😳🌲?!?! My kids really did love this whole lake/up north experience this past week. My 5 year old caught his first fish....of course he did drop it immediately after how "slimey" it felt LOL😝🐟. We roasted marshmallows.....losing more than a few to the fire or on the ground. My older sons tubed for the first time.....which I almost lost the bottom half of my suit trying to teach them how to get on it🛥👙😳. Plus we also had to jump into the lake once after losing Maverick's perfectly matched sun hat to the wind......baby's still have to look cute and accessorized up north....right??!👶🏼💙 Yes, we were pretty much rookies to the up north lifestyle.
So after 5 days of vacation we are on the 9 hour drive back to South Dakota. A DVD playing, all of us itching from one too many mosquito bites, listening to Colin Cowherd's latest podcast, the kids all packed in tight...again, and full of some happy memories of being on the lake. This football family enjoyed cabin life and all the new outdoorsy experiences that came along with it🌲👶🏼👦🏼👦🏻👦🏼🌙🚣🏽
For me, in all honesty, I am now anxiously awaiting my greasy McDonalds breakfast and latte, my own bed, all my baby gear/safety proofing at home (I know all mamas out there can agree it makes life so much easier👍🏼), and some much needed sleep......once I get the baby back on schedule that is. Really......I have to admit.....I truly get now the whole "I need a vacation after a vacation."
So we may not be the most outdoorsy/up north kind of family, but they experienced a different way of life that can't be found on the football field🌙🚣🏽👶🏼👦🏼👦🏻👦🏼🌲🐟.