This was my fourth time attending the coaches convention and this year was my favorite by far. I know some of you may be thinking...."why would coaches wives want to even go to that?" For me, it's been a much needed break, from the everyday crazy life of being a mama of four boys👶🏼👦🏼👦🏻👦🏼🏃🏼♀️😜
Here are my top 5 reasons why I encourage you ladies to join your husband at the convention next year.
1. You get a chance to see wives you've been on staffs with in your husband's previous coaching jobs. Meeting up with old friends is a convention highlight every year. This year I had lunch with some, attended an AFCWA meeting with others, and also connected watching the championship game at a party with another. Sharing laughs, memories, and our own stories of this coaches wife life.
2. Meeting new friends by joining the AFCWA (American Football Coaches Wives Association.) This was my first year becoming a member and I am so happy I joined. You can attend the meetings, go to the luncheon or brunch, and also give back to the host community by doing community service (this year it was visiting a children's hospital). You can really choose to do as much or as little as you want to. At registration, I was blessed to meet a football wife, Peggy English, with over 40 years of experience as a coach's wife. You can learn a lot from a woman like her, with all the years as a coach's wife. Being involved with the AFCWA is a way to meet new wives from all over, and be a part of an association that truly understands and supports this lifestyle. Next year I plan on attending even more events.
3. The Parties. This year we attended the Under Armour party. With food, drinks, and live music it was an amazing time. I am not going to lie, 95% of the room is sea of men in khakis and team polos, but coaches wives find a way to seek each other out in those kind of situations. Of course we connect instantly not knowing each other.....we just get it💍🏈👰🏼👍🏼.
4. See new places. This was my first time in Nashville and I absolutely loved it. A great downtown, shopping right next to the hotel, live music, and great food. It's a great way to experience new places🎤🎸🛍✈️🍸🍤
5. A much needed getaway. I have four boys and after the holidays......mama is exhausted. I look forward to the convention every year to have my own time to workout, rest, and see old friends. This trip is not great for 1-on-1 time with your hubby.....but I still find it refreshing. He's off talking Ball, going to meetings, or catching up with old coaches he worked with. Luckily this year we won a conference championship, so he was not out of work and having to interview for a bunch of jobs! 🙌🏻 We each have our own things going on, but we eventually make time to meet up and visit with other couples who are old friends. Thanks to a canceled flight....my husband and I had an extra night in Nashville. Though I was definitely missing my children, we made good use of the time and enjoyed a rare dinner for 2 at the convention.
I hope I have convinced some of you to join me at the convention next January in Charlotte, NC. And to the coaches out there who have never brought your wife....make it a priority....it may show some head coach what a great "recruiter" you are! 😉