This year will be the 6th American Football Coaches Association Convention I have attended with my husband. It’s also my 2nd trip to San Antonio for the convention. In the past 5 trips I have learned a lot about navigating the convention. I won’t lie, my first Convention in Orlando in 2010 was very intimidating. Being around thousands of coaches when the male/female ratio is at least 10:1 was a little overwhelming. It didn’t take long however, for me to warm up to the convention, and now this will be my 5th consecutive year....and I don’t plan on missing in the future!
One thing that really made the convention more enjoyable was becoming a member of the American Football Coaches Wives Association (AFCWA). I highly encourage you to become a member and register for the convention if you are going to San Antonio. It is a lot of fun with amazing women who know exactly what you go through as a coach’s wife.
So for all you coaches’ wives making the trip to San Antonio this year...especially you first timers....I’ve put together a list to help make sure you will not miss a beat in Texas.....just don’t forget your boots!!!!✈️🙋🏼♀️👢
1. Those boots were made for walking.....so don’t forget to go explore! One of my favorite activities is walking along the Riverwalk and enjoying the beautiful weather (It’s cold in January in South Dakota!) There are so many amazing restaurants and bars as well.....Margaritas anyone🙋🏼♀️🍹🙌🏼?!?! The Alamo is considered the heart of San Antonio and is Texas’ most visited landmark to check out while you’re visiting. There is also great shopping in San Antonio. The North Star Mall has excellent shopping and is only about 10 miles from downtown. If you are looking for something in
walking distance there is some wonderful shopping close to the convention at the Shops at the Rivercenter🙋🏼♀️🛍💳.
2. AFCWA Seasoned Wives/New Wives group meeting. A great way to meet new faces and get some advice from some great “seasoned” wives. Seasoned Wives/New Wives is held on Sunday January 6th from 2:45-4pm at the Marriott Riverwalk Alamo Ballroom EF.
3. AFCWA Buzz Session: For the Love of the Game. Hear from other coaching couples about the ups and downs of this football life. For the Love or the Game, will be held on Monday January 7th at 9 am at the Marriott Riverwalk Alamo Ballroom Salons EF.
4. AFCWA Buzz Session: Game Day Style and Football Must Haves. You’ll see an array of game day styles for every type of football wife in mind. Whether you’re a “Personalized Playmaker” or a “Team Trendsetter,” this is one football fashion event you won’t want to miss! Did I mention red carpet treatment with a step and repeat💃🏼🏈⭐️.This session it held on Monday January 7th at 10 am at the Marriott Riverwalk Travis Room.
5. AFCWA Divisional Breakouts: A great Sesssion to meet with other Coaches wives at your level of football🙋🏼♀️🙋🏻♀️🙋🏽♀️🏈. This session is from 11-12:15 on Monday January 7th at the Marriott Riverwalk Alamo Ballroom Salon C.
6. AFCWA Luncheon. A way to connect back with old friends....and also meet many new ones. This year the Luncheon speaker is author Jessica Turner. Her latest book, “Stretched Too Thin,” is something coaches’ wives can surely relate to. I am extremely excited for this Luncheon! 🍽📚🙋🏼♀️. It takes place January 7th from 12:30-2pm at the Marriott Riverwalk Alamo Ballroom Salon D.
7. AFCWA Taste of Texas. A way to enjoy drinks and great convo with new and old friends....plus your coach is invited. Date possibility at convention🤷🏼♀️🏈🍷?? Taste of Texas will be on Monday January 7th from 3:30-6:30pm at the Marriott Riverwalk Riverview Room.
8. AFCA Tailgate Party. We all know you and your coach are not going to miss watching the College Football Playoff National Championship Game! This is a FREE EVENT that features some great food, drinks, and BIG screens to watch those BIG plays🏈💍🖥. Doors open at 6:30 PM on Monday, January 7 in the Convention Center Stars at Night Ballroom.
9. AFCWA Children’s Hospital Visit. It’s all about giving back and this is all about the children👶🏼👦🏽👧🏻🧒🏼👶🏽👧🏼. The AFCWA has been raising money and supplying gas gift cards to families in need. Sign up for the Children’s hospital visit or at least make a donation. Wives going to the Hospital will meet at 10:45 on Tuesday, January 8th in the Marriott Riverwalk Lobby. Click on our website below to donate today.
10. AFCA Breakout Session-Happy Wife, Happy Life. I absolutely LOVED this session last year. A group of coaching couples will touch on what has been successful in their marriages when it comes to finding balance in this crazy football life. They give advice and shed some light on how they make things work. Bring your coach for sure....You know what they say......happy wife means a happy life💍❤️🏈👰🏼.This session is held Tuesday, January 8 – 2:00-2:50pm at the Convention Center.
Check out the link below for sign up information for the AFCWA events and dates and times of other great events while you’re in San Antonio!!! Hope Y’ALL have fun in Texas!!!!